A short-term rental is a living space you rent for a few weeks or a few months at a time. These are furnished and usually protected by an agreement with the landlord.
There is a tremendous variety of properties available, so let’s take a quick look at how you can get the best results for your next temporary stay.
What You Need To Know About the Different Furnished Short-Term Rentals
There are, roughly speaking, three kinds of places to rent. The differences are pretty important, so let’s dive into each one and see which is best for you.
Vacation properties are one of the most popular searches on the internet. In NC, some websites list over 36,000 different rooms, homes, and North Carolina apartments to rent. Here’s what renters should know about vacation listings:
- They are usually designed for very short use. Most people rent one for themselves and their guests for a few days or a couple of weeks.
- You can choose an entire house, shared bedrooms, or an isolated property. There are lots of options.
- Prices are determined by the number of beds, any amenities included, the length of your stay, and where it fits into the tourist schedule for the area.
For the best value, pick a listing website with full information about each property, a solid and legal lease for you to sign, and a customer team that responds to your questions satisfactorily.
North Carolina Apartments and Temporary Housing
People choose this option when they are traveling for work, family, or other reasons and will stay in one area for more than a couple of weeks. For them, paying a monthly rent is more cost-effective than a daily or weekly rate.
Pricing for these properties will be determined by the length of stay, proximity to bigger population centers, and any convenience included in the property, such as a pool, gym, or clubhouse.
Investors design adventure properties for people who want an active lifestyle. For the sporty person, these are great ways to live close to the ski slope, hiking trail, or other attraction.
The best way to rent one of these is to check for houses available on the date of your travel and then contact the owners. They will have all the information you want about how to cram the most adventure into your stay because they will know the area.
Understanding the Short Rental Market
Furnished houses, a lovely condo, or just a studio apartment for a few weeks or months may be exactly what you need. So how can you be sure you choose the right option without having to pay too much?
Laws and Regulations Vary Depending on Location
Every state, and sometimes each city or town, makes its own laws and regulations about these properties. Here are some things that make NC a great place to stay:
- North Carolina’s Vacation Rental Act offers protection for guests and renters to give you extra peace of mind.
- All unfurnished and furnished short-term rentals must have a written agreement that spells out your rights and obligations.
- There is extra protection in case a disaster cuts your stay short, such as a hurricane or forest fire.
When you work with a reputable landlord, you can be sure to have a great rental experience.
Why Rent Housing for a Short Time?
Of course, people have loads of reasons for a short stay in a house, apartment, or condo.
- Many people rent for work. Travel nurses, project managers, and many others need a place to stay for a few weeks.
- Others want a longer break. Writers could spend a few months getting inspiration from a new location.
- Retired travelers often rent a furnished apartment, condo, or house to live in for specific parts of the year.
Whatever the reason, there are plenty of places to stay in large cities, like Raleigh, Charlotte, or Winston-Salem, or beautiful homes in the scenic mountains or coastal areas.
Three Critical Components of Choosing the Best Short-Term Rental For You
Accessibility: Live Near What You’ll Want to Do
No one loves commuting. It’s worse if you have to commute while on vacation. So, try to find temporary housing that will be close to what you want to do. Here are a few things to search for:
- Good road links from your arrival and departure airports or directions.
- Transport options, such as buses, trains, or cycle routes, if you want to commute without a car.
- A central location to your most frequent places.
With a little planning and help from Google Maps, you can get into housing that will facilitate easy travel during your stay.
Luxuries: Short-Term Rentals Often Offer Various Amenities
Amenities are surely one of the best parts of short-term rentals. You’ll want to check which ones are included with your furnished place. You can also verify fees you might be charged for using them.
A few great options:
- Look for places with hot tubs, pools, or a community gym. Make sure you can get in affordably.
- If you’re staying for weeks, you’ll need basic things but these might still be classed as amenities. So, look for hair dryers, laundry facilities, easy shopping, and garbage disposal.
- If you’re staying in a larger city, some places offer memberships to local venues like gyms, clubs, and tourist spots.
These extras can add great experiences to your time away. Or, if you don’t have something you need, it becomes a massive pain in the neck. Do your homework and make sure you will have everything you want.
Financially Stable Option: Living Within Your Means
There are tons of different apartment and condo rentals to be explored, additionally, there are plenty of algorithms to find a property in the right location and for the right price. Here is the one thing people get wrong:
Everything will be at a different price than at your home.
For example, furnished short-term rentals are brilliant, but they don’t often come with a full spice rack. If you’re a foodie, then replacing your favorite spices during your stay will cost extra.
When you’re planning your budget, try to take account of any additional fees as well as the generally higher cost of living away from home.
Ready to Go?
If you’re looking for a short term rental in NC and need some help deciding what would be right for you, call our dedicated team of housing experts at or fill out the form below for more information. We are your source for quality apartments when you’re looking for a short term rental solution across North Carolina including Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Chapel Hill. You’ll find that our apartments have useful amenities that will make your apartment feel like home.