Experiencing a house fire is one of the most traumatizing experiences you can experience. Not only are you having to process the loss of your home and belongings, but you have to move quickly to secure temporary housing. Finding a fully-furnished place to stay while you sort matters out with your insurance company is no small task. Whether your insurance is footing the bill, or you’re paying out of pocket, our housing experts are sharing how you can secure housing after a fire. 

If you are stuck wondering what to do when you lose your housing after a fire, and you need short-term, fully-furnished housing, our properties are available for monthly rentals. Whether your home needs to be professionally cleaned due to smoke and water damage, or you lost your home and belongings entirely, we are going to walk you through how to secure temporary housing so you can find the best place to live that suits your needs.

Contact Your Insurance Company

The first thing you should do to find housing after a fire is reach out to your insurance company. Whether you were living in a rental or a home you owned, if you had insurance, you may have what’s called “loss-of-use coverage.” This is a provision in your policy that covers the costs of temporary housing after a fire or other event that leaves a home inhabitable. It may also include additional living expenses that exceed your normal living expenses. Because you still need to pay your mortgage, taxes, and home insurance, even if your home is uninhabitable, you will need additional funds to cover your temporary housing after a fire. Some insurance companies may even cover meals or laundry. Therefore, if your home is uninhabitable, these funds should become available to you.

Most people think these policies will only cover a hotel for a short period such as during short-term repairs like cleaning smoke and water damage. However, in many policies, the insurance company will cover long-term housing after a fire, including a fully furnished corporate apartment or rental house. The most important step is to immediately work with your insurance company to determine your coverage and the timeline you have.

Getting Help After a House Fire with No Insurance

If you didn’t have homeowners insurance, or you didn’t have a loss of use coverage in your plan, there are organizations that can help connect you with resources including emergency temporary housing after a fire. 

Organizations that may be able to help you include:

Often these organizations have programs that can help you secure a place to stay after losing your home in a fire and provide you with clothing, food vouchers, and necessities until you can get back on your feet.

Weigh Your Options for Temporary Housing

Whether you’re paying out of pocket or your insurance company is footing the bill for your housing after a fire, the three most common options for temporary housing are a hotel, rental house or apartment, or a fully-furnished temporary apartment, often called corporate housing.


For short-term stays of a few weeks or less, a hotel can be a convenient option for housing after a fire. There’s no paperwork to worry about, and they offer the basic amenities to get by for a few weeks until you can get back to your home.

However, living out of a suitcase with minimal belongings and amenities, coupled with the impersonal nature of a hotel makes it almost impossible to get into a comfortable routine. This is especially true if you have a family that includes small children and/or pets. Additionally, a hotel can be prohibitively expensive for emergency temporary housing that lasts longer than a few days.

Rental House or Apartment

Renting an apartment or house offers the stability you need after the trauma of a house fire, and because they are set up for long-term living, they are much more affordable than a hotel. Unless you know you will be displaced from your home for a year, renting a standard apartment for housing after a fire may not be the feasible option for the following factors:

  • Signing a lease of up to 12 months
  • Paying security deposit
  • Connecting utilities and paying deposits
  • Purchasing new furniture and belongings

Corporate Apartments

The ideal solution for most people seeking emergency temporary housing after a fire is a corporate apartment. These fully-furnished apartments are equipped with everything you need to live comfortably, including fully-equipped kitchens and laundry rooms. Perhaps one of the best parts of living in a corporate apartment is the fact that you’ll have your own private space that feels more like home than a hotel. In addition, you won’t have to sign a 12-month or even 6-month lease for an apartment. Oftentimes, the monthly rental fees of staying in a corporate apartment include utilities and can accommodate your move-in within just a day or two.

Like a hotel, there is no need for deposits, having utilities connected, running background checks, or signing a lease– you can simply move in and focus on getting your life back to normal. Unlike a hotel, corporate apartments are comfortable, and spacious, and can feel more like home. Corporate apartment rentals also have convenient floor plans that allow for family living with ease while offering a much lower monthly rate than other options for housing after a fire.

Contact Corporate Accommodations to Rent Temporary Housing After a Fire in North Carolina

If you’ve lost your home in a fire or it’s uninhabitable for more than a few weeks, reach out to Corporate Accommodations. With locations in Greensboro, Chapel Hill, and across North Carolina, we can help you get situated in a conveniently located apartment that can be a convenient place to call home. 

To learn more or to inquire in more detail about our rental property for housing after a fire, reach out to us at 336-299-1312 or fill out the contact form below to find the right temporary housing for you and your family. 

We promise to help you get back on your feet and help you as best we can!